Monday, July 31, 2017

Week 1

Last week was my first week of unemployment. However, it feels like it's been more than one week. I'm not the best person at relaxing; I generally like things to be as efficient as possible, which means that unemployment week one has been filled with a number of activities.

I spent the first and last part of the week visiting my boyfriend; he is settling his mother's estate and there's a lot to do. Upon my return to Toronto, I met with a recruiter. The recruiter suggested I come work for them. I don't really know what I want to do and he offered to let me job shadow him, so I'll be doing that this week. 

I took Intro to Data Analytics at Bitmaker but it was at a pretty beginner level; basic statistics and use of pivot tables. My AI lecture at HackerYou was excellent though and goes nicely with the AI book I'm reading. I also finished my Mindshift class on Coursera. Not sure how much I got out of it; it had a handful of interesting information for me. I also registered to be a CPA Canada financial literacy volunteer. Not sure how it works, but I do like helping people improve their financial literacy. 

I also received an offer for a scanning coordinator position for TIFF; I was planning to accept because I thought it would be entertaining but it looks like a new position might become available that would be more interesting. Not sure what to do. I've been applying to random jobs that seem appealing - I generally have around two hours each day blocked off for job hunting. I switch between looking at interesting companies for jobs and looking for interesting jobs.

This week I'll check for more courses. I'm already signed up for Intro to Python at the library for later in August. In addition to courses and job-related things, I'm also getting to see a lot of friends. I'm also trying to block off​ time each day to sew, read, cook, etc.

Each day's calendar is written on my chalkboard. So I have a schedule but it doesn't feel as urgent as putting it in my phone. And I don't have a recurring alarm anymore, which is maybe my favourite part of all this.

No comments: